Every parents routinely asked “how was school today?” question rarely gets the response we’re looking for, it’s usually met with “good” or “fine”. So, we try to dig deeper and ask; “what did you do?” yet are still met with a less than enthusiastic “nothing”.
Sounds familiar right? It can be challenging to find out what’s happening in our child’s life, but with these ten questions, we can help these conversations be more positive, powerful and ultimately learn more about our kids.
- Where did you play and who did you play with, at recess?
- If you could choose, who would you like to sit beside in class? Why?
- What was the most interesting word your teacher said today?
- What was your favourite subject today? Why?
- Tell me about a moment in class when you felt confused.
- Is there something you think you’d like to learn more about?
- Is there anything you feel worried or scared about during school?
- Were there any times today when you felt disrespected by anyone?
- Tell me about a conversation you had with one of your friends.
- What did you like best about your day?
What questions bring about the most conversation between you and your kids?